Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Michael Vick...MVP?

Like many other Mainers, I had the day off from work yesterday due to the huge blizzard that blew in. So, Like many, I stayed in my P.J.'s and on my laptop. Somehow I navigated to the NFL website. I have always liked football, and although I don't consider myself a huge fan, I was curious at how the team stats looked. It was there that I read about how Michael Vick and Tom Brady were both up for the MVP player of the year.

I had to re read the article..Mike Vick? The dog fighter? The guy who was in jail? MVP?


So...here is a quick recap of how this twisted story of Mike and his BadNewZ Kennels came to be and you decide.

In April of 2007 the ACO in VA seized 66 dog (53 pit bulls) from Mick Vicks Bad Newz kennels. In July of that year a warrant was served and investigators found evidence (in animal remains) of a dogfighting ring. Vick and others were charged with running the ring for 6 years, Vick was arrested and plead not guilty.In December of 2007 Vick paid almost 1 million dollars in restitution and was sentenced to 23 months in federal prison, and banned from ever owning an animal. 49 of the 53 pit bulls spent over 200 days as evidence before they were finally signed over to various rescue groups and re homed.
So here we are...almost 4 years later (he fought dogs longer than not fighting dogs), and has not only reported that he 'wants another dog because he genuinely cares for animals' but is also up for MVP status. Really? Do people change that quick? I doubt it. It wouldn't surprise me if he moved from dog fighting to cock fighting. He has a job (a job that pays him very well), and that is pretty much all he deserves.





No comments: