Monday, August 9, 2010

Escape from the cube village


Today I made a visit to my former employer, dropping off something for a friend who still works there. For a year and a half, between dog training gigs, I worked a corporate job. I had my own cube, phone, extension and name plate. Steady hours, insurance and paid vacations. I left back in January to jump into the world of non-profit work, dog training and (sometimes) eating ramin for dinner. I wouldn't go back for anything. Although I had a lot of corporate perks, there were more negatives than positives. Like the wacky schedule that didn't allow for me to attend agility classes and forget trialing. I couldn't do therapy dog visits, and the only time I saw any of my dog friends was when they posted their brags on facebook. I spent idle time in my cube writing 'corporate haiku's' and always felt out of place.

Here is a couple of my haiku's..anyone who works in the cube village may understand these cries for help!

ALONE IN MY CUBE
UNINSPIRED, UNIMPRESSED
M&M'S FILL VOID

CUSTOMER SERVICE HAIKU:
CHATTER IN MY EAR
SURROUNDED BY SHADES OF GRAY
LACKING EMPATHY

CUSP OF THE WEEKEND
MOCKED BY BILL GATES COLD TIME PIECE
THWARTING MY ESCAPE

Seeing a few of my old co workers reminded me that I made the right choice by leaving. I make it a rule to never say never...but I hope the universe continues to be kind so I can do what I love.

No comments: